YouTube Influencers Scam Alert – Fake Influencer Marketing Fraud
Fraudsters have been setting up fake YouTube channels in the names of influencers /celebrities and sending out messages to catch the unwary. People have been receiving messages appearing to come from influencers saying thanks for commenting on their videos and as a thank you, please click on the link to receive a gift. The scam looks very real as the message has the same picture/avatar as the genuine article but is just a data farming exercise. The survey which you must fill out to collect your prize gets your data and can result in identity theft. Such schemes could, in theory, take you to sites or downloads which could contaminate your device with malware and so you should actively avoid.
IF IT SOUNDS TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE, IT ISN’T, INFLUENCERS DO NOT HAND OUT FREE iPhones AND CERTAINLY DO NOT ASK FOR YOUR DATA
Tips and Advice
- Don’t Click – on any link in an email that you are not 100% sure is genuine, always go independently to their website and log in to execute any action.
- The real deal? – Check out their page in full, has it been up a long time? Are there many posts? Are there a lot of followers?
- If it’s too good to be true – then it isn’t! It’s a scam
- Don’t – be pressured into acting quickly; this is a ‘red flag’ and sign of a fraud.
- Keep safe – never give your Pin, passwords or banking codes to anyone requesting them.
- Personal means private! – Do not divulge personal details unless you have full confidence in the caller and the business they represent.
- Report it! – If you receive such a message report it to YouTube by clicking on Report
- Contact – your bank or credit card company if you have already given out financial details.
- ID Protection – If you’re worried about identity fraud and would like to protect your identity contact CIFAS
- Still Unsure? – Join Reassura 0800 888 6400, and one of our fraud advisor’s will help you to stay safe
- To report a fraud – and receive a police crime reference number call Action Fraud on 0300 123 2040 or use their online fraud reporting tool.
Protect yourself from scams and join Reassura either as:
- FREE member for scam alerts and newsletters to your inbox
- PREMIUM member for only £18 a year for all the warning signals and unlimited access to our phone-based Fraud Advisors
Reassura continues to help raise awareness of scams and fraud along with the impact they have on their victims. Reassura’s team of specialist anti-fraud advisors are here to help members make better decisions and avoid falling victim to scams and fraud.